Roll Forming Services
U.S. Metal Crafters is an industry-leading, one-stop resource for all your metal forming needs, including roll forming. Roll forming is a metal shaping process that is a cost-effective alternative to other forming processes, such as press braking and stamping. This continuous bending operation is ideal for many applications and provides numerous benefits over other metal forming processes.
What Is Roll Forming?
Though the process is relatively simple, it can form complex geometries in tight tolerances. This flexible, high-speed process passes room temperature coiled steel in long sheets through a set of rolls. Each roll set contributes a portion of the final profile that features a uniform cross-section along its entire length. It is possible to introduce additional processes within the same production line.
The flat metal passes along a line of die stations. Each station consists of two forming dies, one on the top and bottom, that form a particular shape or bend. The metal’s type, thickness, and formability determine the size of the stand. The full design, known as a flower pattern, details the total number of passes and degree of bend for each pass to achieve the final profile.
The roll forming process is ideal for creating large lots of the same shape. It is used most often for long profiles, such as metal furniture, fencing, door and window hardware, drawer slides, and vinyl reinforcements. Roll forming is particularly well-suited for producing custom components for various applications.
Benefits of Roll Forming
Sheet metal roll forming has many advantages over braking and extruding. This high-speed process provides numerous benefits, including but not limited to, the following:
- Efficiency: The low labor required to form long strips of metal provides efficiency over other alternative processes. High production levels occur even after introducing other inline processes.
- Quality: Because the profiles are achieved with incremental processes, roll forming provides a superior finish and consistent quality with tight tolerances. The high quality virtually eliminates the need for secondary finishing processes.
- Design: Roll forming can create graceful curves with inline sweeping and arcing capabilities in high demand for automotive and appliance applications. From smooth, clean contours to complex shapes, roll bending can create profiles that include a variety of design features.
- Flexibility: Since roll forming can accommodate almost any metal or shape, it is one of the most flexible forming processes. It can even shape metals that have already been painted, plated, or coated.
- Cost-effectiveness: Roll forming steel provides savings in several areas. Energy costs are lower since no heat is required, it produces little scrap, there is less wear on the machinery, and the process eliminates the need for additional finishing, like deburring.
Roll Forming Services by U.S. Metal Crafters
The roll forming process is a simple, high-speed process that produces components for many industries and applications. Since it achieves the final shape gradually, sheet metal roll forming results in tight tolerances and high-quality finishes. Roll forming provides many benefits, including high quality, efficiency, sophisticated design, flexibility, and numerous cost-saving advantages.
U.S. Metal Crafters is one of the most experienced roll forming companies offering the widest range of metal forming services. With over 32 years of combined experience, our team exhibits its diverse capabilities in our 120,000 sq. ft. ISO 9001:2015 certified facility in Archdale, NC. We proudly serve the transportation, furniture, and health care services industries worldwide. Our commitment to quality, professionalism, and customer reliability guides everything we do.
Equipment & Capabilities
- 15 Roll formers ranging from:
- 1” shaft- 8 stands
- 2.5” shaft- 16 stands
- 14” wide- 14ga
- 12” wide- 8ga
- Up to 7 in line stamping press stations
- Ability to make roll forming dies
- Light to heavy gauges of various materials
- Short to VERY long parts +/- 12”-40’
- Flying cut-offs for fast production
Roll Forming Services
Roll Forming for Metal is a type of rolling involving the continuous bending of a long strip of sheet metal, most often coiled steel, into a desired profile/cross-section. The strip passes through sets of rolls mounted on consecutive stands with each set performing an incremental part of the bend, until the desired cross-section (profile) is obtained. Roll forming is ideal for producing constant-profile parts with long lengths and in large quantities.
Roll Forming - Flower Pattern
A variety of cross-section profiles can be produced, but each profile requires a carefully crafted set of roll tools. Design of the rolls starts with what is commonly called a “flower pattern”, which is the sequence of profile cross-sections, one profile for each stand of rolls. The roll contours are then derived from the flower pattern profiles. Because of the high cost of the roll sets, computer simulation is often used to develop or validate the roll designs and optimize the forming process to minimize the number of stands and material stresses in the final product.
Metal Roll Forming Lines
Roll forming lines can be set up with multiple configurations to punch, shape and cut off parts in a continuous operation. For cutting a part to length, the lines can be set up to use a pre-cut die where a single blank runs through the roll mill, or a post-cut die where the profile is cutoff after the roll forming process. Features may be added in a hole, notch, embossing, or shear form by punching in a roll forming line. These part features can be done in at virtually any point throughout the roll forming process. Some roll forming lines incorporate only one of the above punch or cutoff applications, others incorporate some or all of the applications in one line. The specifics of each line will be determined based on the optimal process for each custom application.